Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Can't Buy Me Love?

I'm beginning to rethink that old adage.
A couple days ago Nico swiped a couple of wooden train cars out of the dollar bins at Target. I hesitated to let him have them, 'cause they practically scream Brain-Damaging-Lead-Paint-Courtesy-of-China, but he was pretty insistent ... and I had more shopping to do ... and they kept him quiet ... so, yeah. Guess who won that one?

(I was hyper-vigilant throughout the store to make sure he didn't put them in his mouth, though. So don't go calling CPS on me, people.)
When we reached the register, I said, "OK, let's put these back. We were just borrowing these."

That's when he activated his Death Grip power.

I asked again, "Come on. Say goodbye to the trains. We have plenty of toys at home."

White-knuckled, he shook his head no and hid the trains behind his back.

After a couple more tries, the cashier just reached across the conveyor belt and scanned them, looking at me as though saying, "Honey, puh-leeze."

"Yeah," I laughed, "I guess we're buying 'em."

Nico continued holding them, one firmly in each hand, all the way home. Even as I laid him down for a nap, he still held on, only letting them slip from him grasp when he was sound asleep. When the flash of my camera woke him a bit he sat up, grabbed the nearest one, and cuddled it to him for the rest of his nap.
So to those who claim that money can't buy happiness, I beg to differ. It'll cost ya a mere two bucks at Target.

No comments: