
On the way to Cece's school this morning, Cece, Nico and I were driving along, enjoying the beautiful late-summer morning, listening to the radio and pointing out each and every single bus we passed. Nico, for those who don't know, is completely infatuated with all large things on wheels -- particularly buses.
"Look, Nico! A school bus!" Cece would yell.
"Daaaaat!" Nico would shout, as he'd point at and wave to the bus.
About half-way into our 10-minute drive, Annie Lennox came on the radio, singing "Pavement Cracks." The song begins quietly, gradually building in volume and pace up to the chorus. All three of us were bobbing our heads, while I sang and Cece tried her best to listen in and learn some of the lyrics.
By the time Annie got to the second chorus, all three of us could barely be contained by our seatbelts. Neighboring drivers must've thought we were on our way to the new Wiggles try-outs. :)
Cece said, "You know what, Mom? A song can make my bad mood turn into a really happy mood."
And ain't that the truth?
The three of us were buoyed by the hope in Annie's voice coming through the speakers. We were, dare I say, radiant as Wilbur the pig with joy, driving down the road to Cece's second day of kindergarten.
I won't ever hear that song again and not immediately remember this morning, when my children and I were lifted and united in the simple joy of song, the sun shining down on us, the world spread before us.
I wish you well.
No comments:
Post a Comment